Blog Background

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An experiment...

At the urging of both my mother and grandmother, I decided to look up a few books by Dr. John Rosemond, a Christian family psychologist. After reading the first two chapters of the book, Making the Terrible Two's Terrific, Jeremy and I decided to make some executive decisions and do two experiments this week. The first one was to take a lot of the toys away that he doesn't seem to play with. The author suggests that if kids at this age have too many toy choices, they get bored and over stimulated and can't choose. It's just too overwhelming for them. So, you can see how many toys we were able to put away for this experiment. Yesterday, Jeremy got out ALL of his toys and put up the ones that Luke never went over to "play" with. We don't have a huge place, but you can see just how much he has accumulated over his first year and a half! The second experiment is shocking, I know, but we are doing NO tv this week, not even Sesame Street. Dr.Rosemond suggests that the tv wastes little one's minds and really should be limited. Now, we were not watching tv all day, but probably 2- 30 min shows (word world and mickey's playhouse) and 1-60 min show (Sesame st.) GASP, yes, I thought it would be hard for us, but after taking a lot of his toys away (he still has PLENTY to play with mind you) he has asked us to read more books and color, and he is loving his sorting blocks set, that was lost in the mix of his other toys before. Dr. Rosemond is a no non-sense, down to Earth, COMMON sense writer that I really appreciate right now. Like for example, he said that kids around 2 years don't understand the word "Don't." For example, when I say "Don't throw your food on the floor." all he hears is "Blah, Blah, throw your food!" So in turn I now say "No, eat your food." Like, I said totally common sense, but hey, this is new territory for both us and Luke. I highly recommend to anyone with little kids. I will post with up dates later this week.  

(These are all of the toys we put away for the time being. It's a TON!)

No comments: